The NBA and the Australian Red Cross Lifeblood are working together to manage increasing issues of RhD O negative red blood cells across Australia. Only 9% of the Australian population are Group O RhD negative; however Group O RhD negative red blood cells currently represent over 17% of total red blood cell issues to Australian health providers.
O Negative National Statement
The NBA has formed an O RhD negative red blood cell expert working group consisting of representatives from key organisations. The working group will develop a joint statement on group O RhD negative red blood cell use, inventory management and emergency issue practices to be issued nationally. Working group members include representatives from:
- National Blood Transfusion Committee (Australian Red Cross Lifeblood)
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Blood Transfusion
- National Pathology Accreditation Advisory Council
- Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine
- Australian College of Emergency Medicine
- Small and large jurisdictions
- Independent experts who have implemented a program in their hospital or jurisdiction
The NBA has created two posters available to download on general O negative red blood cell management and Emergency group O red blood cell issue. The posters are available on the NBA website at: National Standard for Blood and Blood Products Safety and Quality | National Blood Authority.
Managing O Negative Inventory
Please visit Use of Group O RhD negative red cells | Australian Red Cross Lifeblood (transfusion.com.au) for information on managing your RhD O negative red blood cell orders and inventory.
Together we can ensure blood and blood products are available for those who need it most.