The Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC) has developed National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards. One of the ten standards focuses on blood and blood products (Standard 7). These standards are mandatory for hospitals and day procedure services from 1 January 2013.
Visit the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards page on the ACSQHC website to access the Blood and Blood Products Standard.
There are four key accreditation criteria under the National Blood and Blood Products Standard.
- Governance and systems for blood and blood products prescribing and clinical use - Health service organisations have systems in place for the safe and appropriate prescribing and clinical use of blood and blood products.
- Documenting patient information - The clinical workforce accurately records a patient’s blood and blood product transfusion history and indications for use of blood and blood products.
- Managing blood and blood product safety - Health service organisations have systems in place to receive, store, transport and monitor wastage of blood and blood products safely and efficiently.
- Communicating with patients and carers - Patients and carers are informed about the risks and benefits of using blood and blood products, and the available alternatives when a plan for treatment is developed.
Resources to assist in compliance with Standard 7
The NBA is committed to support health service organisations meeting the requirements under Standard 7 by identifying and/or developing resources. The NBA worked with the Commission and other stakeholders to develop the:
- Standard 7 Safety and Quality Improvement Guide
- Hospital Accreditation Workbook
- Standard 7 Frequently Asked Questions
- Standard 7 Factsheet
There are extensive resources identified in the Standard 7 Safety and Quality Improvement Guide. These, and any other resources developed since the Standard, which may be helpful for healthcare organisations wishing to comply with Standard 7 can be found by searching or filtering by Standard 7 under Topics in the Publications and Tools section on this site.
The NBA recently provided an overview of the expectations in Standard 7 at the 2013 Transfusion Update at the Brisbane Convention Centre. An amended version of this presentation can be downloaded below.