Order a copy of Managing Blood and Blood Product Inventory
"NATA recognises that the National Blood Authority’s Managing Blood and Blood Product Inventory guidelines is an important initiative which may help in ensuring a reduction in unnecessary wastage of blood and blood products.
NATA supports the National Blood Authority’s initiative in producing these guidelines.
It is also recognised that the implementation of a blood and blood product transfer agreement between users could assist laboratories to enhance the availability of blood and blood products."
This guideline is endorsed or supported by:
Australian & New Zealand Society of Blood Transfusion Ltd (ANZSBT)
The Royal College of Pathologists of Australia (RCPA)
National Association of Testing Authorities, Australia (NATA)
Managing Blood and Blood Product Inventory (pdf) (8.88 MB)
Managing Blood and Blood Products Inventory (reduced size pdf) (2.92 MB)
- What blood and blood products are covered?
- INVENTORY MANAGEMENT BASICS
- What is inventory management?
- Why is inventory management important?
- 10 TIPS TO HELP MANAGE YOUR BLOOD PRODUCT INVENTORY
- Tip 1: Understand your inventory
- Tip 2: Provide expert training
- Tip 3: Set appropriate inventory levels
- Tip 4: Keep procedures simple
- Tip 5: Build collaborative relationships
- Tip 6: Use oldest product first
- Tip 7: Optimise crossmatching procedures
- Tip 8: Maintain all equipment appropriately
- Tip 9: Have a plan to conserve inventory in times of shortage
- Tip 10: Have a patient blood management program
Module 1: Managing Blood and Blood Product Transfers
Module 2: Ig Inventory Management Guidelines
How do you obtain a copy?
If you would like a hard copy of Managing Blood and Blood Products please use the Stop the Waste! Promotional Material Order Form.