"NATA recognises that the National Blood Authority’s Managing Blood and Blood Product Inventory guidelines is an important initiative which may help in ensuring a reduction in unnecessary wastage of blood and blood products.
NATA supports the National Blood Authority’s initiative in producing these guidelines.
It is also recognised that the implementation of a blood and blood product transfer agreement between users could assist laboratories to enhance the availability of blood and blood products."
This guideline is endorsed or supported by:
Australian & New Zealand Society of Blood Transfusion Ltd (ANZSBT)
The Royal College of Pathologists of Australia (RCPA)
National Association of Testing Authorities, Australia (NATA)
- What blood and blood products are covered?
- INVENTORY MANAGEMENT BASICS
- What is inventory management?
- Why is inventory management important?
- 10 TIPS TO HELP MANAGE YOUR BLOOD PRODUCT INVENTORY
- Tip 1: Understand your inventory
- Tip 2: Provide expert training
- Tip 3: Set appropriate inventory levels
- Tip 4: Keep procedures simple
- Tip 5: Build collaborative relationships
- Tip 6: Use oldest product first
- Tip 7: Optimise crossmatching procedures
- Tip 8: Maintain all equipment appropriately
- Tip 9: Have a plan to conserve inventory in times of shortage
- Tip 10: Have a patient blood management program
Module 1 Managing Blood and Blood Product Transfers
- APPENDIX 1: TRANSFER ESTABLISHMENT AND REVIEW CHECKLIST
- APPENDIX 2: VALIDATION PLAN
- APPENDIX 3: EXAMPLE MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
- APPENDIX 4: TRANSFER PROCEDURE CHECKLIST
- APPENDIX 5: BLOOD FRIDGE MAINTENANCE RECORD
- APPENDIX 6: BLOOD AND BLOOD PRODUCT TRANSFER FORM
- APPENDIX 7: SHIPPER PACKING SLIP/BLOOD CONSIGNMENT RECORD
- APPENDIX 8: SHIPPER LABEL
How do you obtain a copy?
If you would like a hard copy of Managing Blood and Blood Products please use the Stop the Waste! Promotional Material Order Form.
APPENDIX 2: VALIDATION PLAN (179.48 KB)
APPENDIX 2: VALIDATION PLAN (1.55 MB)
APPENDIX 3: EXAMPLE MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING (114.52 KB)
APPENDIX 4: TRANSFER PROCEDURE CHECKLIST (77.84 KB)
APPENDIX 4: TRANSFER PROCEDURE CHECKLIST (25.67 KB)
APPENDIX 5: BLOODFRIDGE MAINTENANCE RECORD (70.61 KB)
APPENDIX 5: BLOODFRIDGE MAINTENANCE RECORD (43.57 KB)
APPENDIX 8: SHIPPER LABEL (65.34 KB)
APPENDIX 8: SHIPPER LABEL (27.45 KB)